January 8, 2010

9 degrees of separation


It is 9 degrees here and my Buff Orpington chickens are huddled in their coop. They are fortunate that they were born with their own down comforter otherwise I'm not so sure I wouldn't be eating chicken for dinner tomorrow.
Chickens? Yes, it's a representation of my foray into the world of living outside my comfort zone. Plus, it makes my life more interesting. They have actually proven to be excellent pets. I give them water, food, grit, straw, and an awesome coop and I get eggs in return. It isn't exactly a zero sum solution - I'm in the red and they are definitely in the black (although today they might be in the blue with chattering beaks). But the eggs are delicious and it has been rewarding taking care of FOUR chickens. I just hope they survive this cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment